Here are 7 tips to creating the abundance and calm you deserve:
- Where are you over-extending? Do an honest expense report for yourself. Where are you spending too much? Rent is a common culprit — experts say this should not be more than 20 percent of your income. Moving to a cheaper place is extremely freeing!
- Automate your savings. This is a trick many financially savvy people know about. Before you spend a single cent — put away at least 10 percent of your income into a savings account. If you can, put all bonuses (or any expected income) into this account too. Name it something fun like “Round the world ticket” or “Dream Home” to remind you why you are socking cash away each month.
- Limit the entertainment overdose. Eating and drinking out are often the reason the old catch phrase was coined — to have too much month left at the end of the money. Only commit to things you can afford and don’t say yes to things just because you are invited.
- No spending one day a week. This can be played creatively like a game! If you have a transport pass, food in the fridge, coffee in the cupboard and wifi at home — you are set. A walk outside, making lunch for your partner and Skyping a friend are all free and fun!
- Remember less is more — need all those cable channels? Need that gym membership if you only go once a week? Look for cheaper alternatives. How much is a drop in exercise class? Is there a free first pass? Is Hulu a better option? Refer to your report to see where you can cut back.
- Carry cash. Not only does this make you feel wealthy — you are less likely to want to dole out cash on things like cabs and the small things that add up (another mimosa, a t-shirt on sale). Swiping plastic does not have the same realization as to what you are spending as handing over cold, hard cash.
- Give! Paradoxically, being generous makes us feel abundant and the universe rewards us by giving us more.